5fa56bde-2ab1-4292-bdf6-0f20019630bd

Schedule

Week Final line Percentage Characters
3 眺めていた。 19 23.957

Home thread | week 2 | week 4

Jpdb deck for the book:

Korean vocabulary sheet:

Discussion ground rules

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Always mention where you are in the book when discussing, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting! But please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week :slight_smile:
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That can be part of the discussion too and I’m sure some folks would be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
Character Name Pronunciations
Kanji Reading
衛青 えいせい
夏高峻 か•こうしゅん
柳寿雪 りゅう•じゅせつ
星星 シンシン
Are you joining us for week 3?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
0 voters
1 Like

Seems like, this week, Belerith called it, though :joy:

3 Likes

The part with Koushun drinking tea really made me want a cup of tea!

杯に口をつけると、やわらかな湯気と清澄ちような香りに包まれた。口にふくんだ茶はまろやかで、飲みくだせばぬくもりが腹のなかに広がる。体のこわばりがゆっくりとほどけていった。 :melting_face:

I expected Jusetsu’s secret to remain hidden for a longer time, but now that they’ve seen her in the early stages of the story I wonder what other tensions there’s gonna be between the main characters. OR there won’t be any and they’ll join hands sooner than what I thought.

I have a question, not sure if I got this part right.

Does the golden arrow mean the raven consort is chosen by some magical force? and randomly? Or was it sent by the previous consort? Just how was she picked?

4 Likes

I took it that the previous consort sent it by magic… But then I’ll admit I didn’t read super carefully this week. I got fed up with the unusual vocabulary and having to look stuff up the whole time :sweat_smile:

I also got confused over who killed Koushun’s family? Was it a title or a name they gave?

3 Likes

Yes. The previous one, feeling the end is near, cast that spell to find the next in line. She is technically chosen by something something 娘娘 (the goddess), but I don’t know based on what.

3 Likes

His mother you mean? That was the former empress (皇后, now 皇太后). Except if you mean something else :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ohh that might be it… I really didn’t pay attention properly, I thought he was going on about her killing someone lol

She did get a lot of people killed, that’s why I’m not sure if that’s what you were talking about. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Finally finished this week’s reading, and actually kept reading and got to 23%.

It’s getting quite interesting. Nothing to add that hasn’t been said above. I was hesitant to read this book because of the level, but it’s been a great challenge so far :muscle:

6 Likes

Definitely a challenge this week. Whenever 高峻 is the POV character the vocab gets harder.

I’m surprised by how much backstory they’re revealing this early on. When I saw that it was a LN with a bunch of volumes I assumed they’d be dragging out the backstory like in 「マンガ」 薬屋のひとりごと (series) | L30 with barely a hint every story.

6 Likes

That makes me think that it won’t be that relevant to the overall plot moving forward.
I’m more curious about the goddess she is the representative of, and we really aren’t told much about her yet.

3 Likes

I’ve just finished the wk 4 reading but I can’t see the thread and it’s Thursday, are we still reading?

It’s getting quite good. I’ve ordered a physical copy from cdjapan :smiley:

4 Likes

I am still reading! But I am a bit ahead of schedule, so I don’t pay too much attention to when the threads are posted.

Apparently the forum was down for the past couple of hours, so it could also explain the delay in part.

2 Likes

Ack, I’m so sorry, that’s completely my own fault. X( I majorly lost track of time this week somehow; I blame work stuff. Week 4 will be up momentarily!

Edit: Here you go!

1 Like

I’ll take it! Happens rarely enough, haha.

Finally got around to this week, just in time to not be too late to catch up with next week. Things are moving quite fast! I hope we’ll leave the early scene setting stage and learn more about the court intrigues soon~

3 Likes