🏠 Week 3 | NHKにようこそ! 📺

Welcome to the reading club for NHKにようこそ!

8f40d468-5b9e-4733-a320-1929f772e9fa

Home Thread | week 2 | week 4

Reading Schedule

Week Chapter From - To (Paperback) From - To (Hardback) # of Pages (Paperback)
3 3 39 - 66 35-58 27

JPDB Deck: NHK ni Youkoso! – Prebuilt decks – jpdb

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • I’m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
1 Like

1:
You could almost feel sorry for him. :rofl: :see_no_evil:

Any chance you could add the hardcover pgs in to the table? It’s 35 - 58. I forgot they were different for a few minutes and was like ???

1 Like

Whoops, sorry about that. Will do!

1 Like

Done!

1 Like

I definitely feel bad for him for being in such an anguished mental state all the time… but also I’m reaaaaally hoping the narration shifts soon, cuz 45 pgs (where my section 1 ends) of this guy mentally lashing out at himself and everyone else (even though he’s really trying to improve things) is seriously wearing on me

Edit: finished this week’s reading, and looked up some reviews, and have concluded this book’s just not for me :frowning: . It’s possible that some of what I don’t like gets better, but the book hasn’t convinced me of this after 3 chapters, so I’m gonna move on (that leaves me 4/5 with dropped book clubs :sweat_smile: ). It seems like the plot could become interesting, but I kind of hate the narration style and focus.

In any case, I hope others enjoy it more than I did! If anyone (preferably in the US) wants my copy of the hardback, shoot me a message, and I’ll mail it to you.

2 Likes

One thing I was confused by in part 1: was he actually screaming and banging on his neighbor’s walls, or was that just in his head?

Also does anyone know what the weird character that looks like > with だくてん is?

2 Likes

It’s a repeat sign but since it’s つづく it needed the ゛

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering about that character since I’m watching a drama that also has that in the title.

3 Likes

It’s called 踊り字 if you want to look it up. It’s more common in kanji form 々 or older texts.

5 Likes

I haven’t finished this week yet, but so far I am really enjoying the writing style and even the being in his head part. Sorry to see you go, but yeah, not every book is for everyone. :+1: DNFing early on is def a bigbrain move. (one I still need to learn. :melting_face:)

4 Likes

I just have no patience lol… It’s a problem even with things I enjoy :sweat_smile:

In any case, life’s too short to read unnecessarily frustrating fiction. Hope you continue to enjoy it though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve definitely seen the kanji form before. I just didn’t realize there was a kana form of it!

2 Likes

Week 4 is open and I haven’t finished week 3 yet. :see_no_evil:

I wonder if he snaps out of it at some point or gets diagnosed with some mental health thing, because imo he is having a full blown paranoia break. If he was family/friend and saying his thoughts out loud, I’d be calling an ambulance.

Edit:

あのコタツの陰あのあたり ゴキブリの何ぞ隠れたる

new fear unlocked… tywm… :scream:

2 Likes