Week 5 of 🕵 コップクラフト 🫅

Welcome to week 5 of コップクラフト!

6343bd03-f644-425f-889a-c1d590dec0f3

We’ll be reading through chapter 5 this week:

Week Start Date Content Ending % / Page # # of Pages
5 July 24 Ch 5 48% / p149 30

The end of this week pretty much marks the halfway point!

(home thread) week 4 | week 6

Discussion ground rules

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Always mention where you are in the book when discussing, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting! But please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week :slight_smile:
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That can be part of the discussion too and I’m sure some folks would be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
Are you joining us for week 5?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I am no longer reading the book
0 voters
2 Likes

Still haven’t had time to get to this week’s part. I think I remember what happens in this chapter, but I won’t comment until I get to listen to it (probably this weekend)

1 Like

I am half-way through and I am not sure what the author is trying to do with stuff like this

トニーの恋人──まあ男なんだが──そいつはえらい猫嫌いで引き取れない。

Imagine just dropping someone’s sexuality into a random conversation, when it has nothing to add. But at the same time, the author could just be like “Gay ppl exist. Let me just add some random gay people and not make a big deal out of it.:thinking:

3 Likes

I think it’s the second thing. “I need to have a bunch of easily identifiable characters. I’m just going to give them all one specific characteristic.”

6 Likes

Okay. The stakes just got considerably higher. :flushed: someone wants to see the world burn. :eyes:

7 Likes

I think I enjoyed the first half of the chapter a bit more this week. the setup in the second half is obviously necessary, though it did get more interesting near the end. For the most part they feel like stereotypical villains, though if their powers are what they say they are, it could make for some incredibly interesting action scenes down the line.

I am not sure what the author is trying to do with stuff like this

god I laughed so hard when I read that, that and the direct reference to the Israel-Palestine conflict, and 9-11. I think he’s trying to make the setting/plot more serious or believable by grounding it with direct references to real events and other things, but it just comes out of nowhere every time. Also definitely some of it has to do with what @Naphthalene said about using character traits as shorthand identification for characters.
That being said, I think Kei offhandedly bringing up that Tony is gay mid conversation is in character for him, considering it seems to weigh on his mind in their previous interactions.

3 Likes

Done!

The content of the chapter was pretty much what I (vaguely) remembered.

With audio only I was incapable of following the explanations of why she couldn’t say at the embassy (?). I just remember that she belongs to a different (political?) faction or something. At least, I felt in sink with ケイ.

Speaking of “ケー”, we can finally see why she kept insisting on that pronunciation… but くろい was the REAL ケー・イマトゥバ (if I remember the spelling correctly).
I didn’t remember the scene near the door where he tells himself he is not a lolicon, feels no horniness, and is perfectly collected. Good to know, I guess. I feel like the author is trying to keep the option of romantic development if ケイ starts seeing her more as a woman, but let’s hope not.

The switch between points of view is really tricky with audio only. I’m glad I already knew it would happen :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah. I hope they keep it at a friendly sibling-like rivalvry. But at least the author is aware of how this could be seen? Maybe that’s a good thing? :face_holding_back_tears:

3 Likes

I couldn’t really follow that with text either, so I’ll just believe the reader wasn’t meant to and relate to Kei :smiley:. Too many names and titles.

:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Next time, I’ll try to be in bathtub with him. That sounds more roomy.

4 Likes

Correct. It’s hard to follow even in writing.

「領事の世話にはならない。事情があるのだ」

「どんな事情だ」

「簡単に言えば宮廷内の力関係だ」

そう前置きして、ティラナは全然簡単ではない説明をはじめた。

「ここの領事ヴィタルマ子爵は、宮廷内で隠然とした力をお持ちの前宰相ケレーシャ侯爵の娘婿だ。ナバート伯アグマーダ卿の甥御でもあり、デンザニ派のカシュダル枢機卿猊下とも親しくおつきあいされている。しかるにわがミルヴォア騎士団の『団の長者』、エムサグリヤ閣下はデヴォル大公殿下の縁者にあたり、また歴史的にも閣下のお家はデンザニ派と確執がある。恐れながら御年を召された国王陛下のお世継ぎについても、デヴォル大公殿下とケレーシャ侯閣下のお考えは違っている。臣民にお慕いされているナーヤ姫殿下を、何者かが弑し奉ろうとする事件さえあったと噂されており、ケレーシャ侯はこの件について──」

「待った、待った」

マトバはうんざりとした様子で手を振った。

「つまり、どういうことなんだ?」

「…………。騎士団に属するわたしは領事の世話にはなれない、ということだ」

複雑怪奇な宮廷政治の話を遮られたティラナは、不服そうに言った。

「最初からそう言えよ。ややこしい」

「わたしはそう言ったぞ!」

4 Likes

Slowly going along through the book in conjunction with 本好き, and I’m really surprised コップフラフト is 5 entire levels higher than 本好き on Natively. The vocabulary is definitely more specialized at times, but 5 levels feels like a huge gap. Like, “if 本好き is near your comfort level it would be extremely time-intensive/tiring to read コップフラフト” is what I would expect seeing that gap, but it doesn’t feel that way to me reading along. :thinking: I suppose コップフラフト’s chapters are also longer, which might also contribute to a feeling of added difficulty?

5 Likes

Well, I guess there are also the made up magic words? But it does feel too high to me too.

(Edit: or maybe 本好き is too low?)

4 Likes

I think it’s a bit of both. 本好き has people reading it who are familiar with it from English, or from having already been exposed to the anime or manga.

Cop Craft is jammed full of made up words which for me made keeping track of things more of a pain, but not to the point of level 35. I would say it’s harder than 本好き but it’s more of a 31 vs 33 type difference than a 30 vs 35 imo.

edit: just went to look at my own ratings and I did rate it as similar to some L35 items…but I don’t agree those are 35 either :joy:

3 Likes

That seems about right.
I remember 本好き being at 31 for a while too, so that’s reasonable.

3 Likes

I found copcraft to be harder, it definitely has stretches where it’s slightly easier or on par, but there were quite a few times where I had to stop and break down a sentence or paragraph, where with bookworm I’ve found that the limiting factor is just the vocab.

I checked out JPDB for bookworm and copcraft for more concrete stats, and it’s quite interesting. Copcraft has shorter sentences on average, but pretty much every other stat for the first volume is slightly higher than bookworm. If I had to guess, I’d say that copcraft being a shorter book, with more unique vocab only used once, that is often very obscure or made up, lends itself to feeling far harder than bookworm even if they are statistically similar.

It’s definitely a bit of an anomaly, but when you think about it, the level system is going to be inherently skewed by the subjective opinions of it’s users, as well as the averaged level of users on the site.

4 Likes