Week 6 of 🕵 コップクラフト 🫅

Welcome to week 6 of コップクラフト!

6343bd03-f644-425f-889a-c1d590dec0f3

We’ll be reading through chapter 6 this week:

Week Start Date Content Ending % / Page # # of Pages
6 July 31 Ch 6 58% / p178 29

(home thread) week 5 | week 7

Discussion ground rules

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Always mention where you are in the book when discussing, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting! But please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week :slight_smile:
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That can be part of the discussion too and I’m sure some folks would be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
Are you joining us for week 6?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I am no longer reading the book
0 voters
2 Likes

I sort of ended up finishing the book last week.

I’ll keep my thoughts to myself for now. :no_mouth:

4 Likes

It seems others are zooming through whereas I’m not that engaged :sweat_smile: I wasn’t really that into this chapter until the little cliff hanger at the end.

3 Likes

That’s too bad… I think that chapter was one of the favorite in the whole book.

It showed the two main characters having to pool their knowledge to solve the case, which itself relies on “technologies” from both worlds (so, technomagic, I guess? :thinking:). It also showed them starting to behave more as a unit (that is, until that cliffhanger at the end).
Speaking of the cliffhanger, what worked for me here is that, from her point of view (and considering her current view of the “Bolice”), it makes sense to act rashly here. But for the reader, having the point of view of Kei, we know she can really mess things up.

(From my memory of the first time I read the book, I really went overthinking for a while about this part; I obviously know how it ends now, but why not subject you all to it:) It’s also unclear if the fairy will survive. It doesn’t really feel like she has any kind of plot immunity. While one can assume that the team will stop the terrorist attack from taking place, it’s very possible that [I forgot her name again :sweat_smile: ティーラナ?] would eff up, leading to the death of the fairy, thus leading to her being expelled from the knight order and instead staying on this side and joining the police for the next few books.

4 Likes

I think I’m just not… Feeling that tension from the writing. I’m not hating it but it hasn’t really ensnared my imagination and the characters haven’t come alive to me and still feel a bit flat. I keep wanting a little something more and I’m not getting it. Just not vibing with the author’s writing style I suppose.

I did like the cliffhanger so I’m hopeful for the next chapter and I don’t intend to quit the book.

5 Likes

This book is an odd one for me. I am not bored but I am also not rushing to finish. I am enjoying reading it, but I don’t have this nagging need to know how it ends. This might still change in the coming chapters, but at the moment I am quite happy to enjoy the ride.
It’s actually quite perfect for BC as when I am done with the week’s reading, I am not bothered by putting it down for a week. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

どこにでもあるチェーン店だ。ウィーンのカフェ風の内装で、天井がやたらと高い。

:face_holding_back_tears:

Vienna calling…
(The 80s were different… XD)

2 Likes

I keep intending to read the week’s chapter on Monday, only to finally get around to it on Friday or Saturday, but at least I’m still holding on. This week felt like a much better chapter than the previous, I think I just prefer the author’s character writing more than his attempts at world building and geopolitical drama and crime.

That being said, I think for the first time the author managed to create a somewhat apt simile when comparing the fictional「第二次ファルバーニ紛争」to the previous conflicts involving large power differentials and guerrilla warfare, especially with regards to Vietnam. I’ll spare drawing any explicit parallels, but it really made the state of the world a bit more believable for me. (I’m honestly not sure if this was intentional or if he stumbled into it, but I’ll take it as a win)

I’ve been thinking of it as watching an airing series, which has helped me avoid totally binging it. It also means I can keep up with a few other books at the same time that aren’t as difficult, which is always good for the motivation.

5 Likes

My memory of this book is starting to get slightly fuzzy; good thing I took some notes.

I thought the cliffhanger at the end of this chapter was pretty effective because we know at this point that ティラナ leaving her sword behind was out of the ordinary, but we don’t know exactly how so, nor is it clear what she was planning to do next.

I wonder if their discussion just prior to this factored into her decision as well. Matoba had been saying that to the police, the lost faerie might not be considered to be as important as a human. Hmm.

4 Likes

Okay I’m finally catching up a bit with the help of the audiobook. Been hard to put my other books down. I’m also not feeling it too much. I was hoping for a bit more detective mystery, but were basically just watching trying to figure stuff out we already know as readers. I mean, it can work, but I feel it’s not doing much here.

5 Likes