7e1dc291-3106-4b92-9bd1-8a017abf9850

Schedule & Links

Week 6 Mar 3 2024
Chapter 4
Percent 30%
:jp: Pages 77 - 90
:jp: Final line 次の日の朝、お母さん用意してくれた朝ご飯は、人口も食べませんでした
:kr: Pages 76-89
:kr: Final line 다음 날 아침, 엄마가 차려준 아침밥은 한 숟갈도 먹지 않았습니다.
Previous week Week 5
Next week Week 7
Home Thread Home Thread for また、同じ夢を見ていた / 또다시 같은 꿈을 꾸었어 📖 🇯🇵 🇰🇷
jpdb Deck Mata, Onaji Yume wo Miteita – Prebuilt decks – jpdb

Discussion ground rules

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Always mention where you are in the book when discussing, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting! But please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week :slight_smile:
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That can be part of the discussion too and I’m sure some folks would be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
Are you joining us for Week 3?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m reading along, but at my own pace
  • I’m just following the discussion
0 voters
4 Likes

Can someone confirm whether the final Korean pg is 89 or 90? I have two different numbers in the home thread - not sure which is the mistake.

1 Like
chapter spoils

I think someone predicted this plot twist from two weeks ago but it’s still sad to see it happen

Read this through yesterday but as usual will need to go through again thoroughly

2 Likes

Spoiler tags, please.

1 Like

Soz fixed.

1 Like

Oooof.

I remember having this fight with my mom before. I didn’t think that all these years later reading a kid’s book would make me feel all these feels about it, but…

7 Likes

I can relate, but in regards to my dad. He’d promise that he’d come to my dance recitals but I don’t think he ever came. However, my grandma would come to every single one. I was thinking maybe the grandma will come to her classroom, although that may be a bit weird since they’re not related and all.

9 Likes

Now that you say that, I wonder if some number of her friends will show up there…

4 Likes

Finished this week’s section but on page 78 I get the first sentence but I’m a bit confused on the second part and what she actually means by this whole phrase- それはもうおばあちゃんの焼いたマフィンが半分しか喉を通らなかったくらい。私は、このままやせ細ってしまうんじゃないかとすら思いました these long sentences always trip me up

1 Like

I’m gonna ignore the それはもう here because I don’t want to go look back up the exact context, but for our purposes this is just a linking phrase to the previous idea.

おばあちゃんの焼いたマフィンが
The muffins that Obaachan baked

半分しか喉を通らなかったくらい
Only half of it passed through my throat (I don’t think I’ve seen 通る used for eating before so there might be some subtleties about using this verb but also maybe not).

私は、このままやせ細ってしまうん
Like this/at this rate I’ll

じゃないか
Not negating the verb, this softening the sentence/asking for agreement

とすら思いました
Was all that I could think.

So putting it all together it’s something like:

I was only able to finish (get down, swallow) half of Obaachan’s muffin. I couldn’t help but thinking that at this rate I’ll dwindle away.

English does not have a lot of words for lose weight that have a neutral or negative connotation…

7 Likes

I just started a few days ago, again, and I’m up to page 53 closing in on the current group pace!
I was totally not expecting

suicidal themes

as it is more of a pre-teen story…
Main issue is keeping track and remembering how to read the character names’ kanji.

5 Likes

I got the impression that it was more like cutting, not suicide? But correct me if I’m wrong!

Not that that’s not a heavy ass theme in a kid’s book, but not quite as bad. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I also understood it the way you did.

2 Likes

I just switched from Kindle to a tablet (trying it out since Paperwhites are so hard to highlight words on, but the Kindle app on the tablet doesn’t support word lookup for inflections…) and I must have double tapped and skipped a page, which led to a BIG misunderstanding :face_with_peeking_eye: Nanoka had just met Kiryuu-kun and his father and then all of a sudden Nanoka’s mother appeared with a serious look on her face, apologizing and talking about how she now needs to go on a business trip. So naturally I thought Nanoka’s mother was having an affair with Kiryuu’s father and was caught on a date with him :clown_face: But at that point, I realized Kiryuu and his father completely vanished from the story, so I went back to check and realized my mistake lolol

My actual thoughts after realizing my mistake:

I kind of expected this would happen, but it’s so hard on the kids when their parents can’t make it to these kinds of events… I wonder if the parents need to work that hard to make ends meet, or if they’re just choosing to focus on their career instead.

6 Likes

Now that I’m done with the Christmas Tina VN club I’m back to また、同じ夢を見ていた, slowly catching up :slight_smile:

And man, that was painful. Even more so due to listening to the audio book while reading (again, highly recommended!) - it provided a much more visceral way to experience the stark contrast between the calm and collected narration that Nanoka is doing to the anger and pain in the dialogue.

「簡単に思いつくかよそんなもん。でも、そうだな、最近はこうやってこの子の相手してる時はちょっとだけ、いつもより幸せ」

I’m not good enough to know whether that nuance is possible, but… I wonder if Minami-san was not talking about the cat on her lap, but about Nanoka there :slight_smile:

3 Likes