:jp: Final line お父さんが誕生日には必ずお前の欲しものを買ってきてくれることの理由を、分かってるはずだ」「…………」
:kr: Pages 90 - 103
:kr: Final line …아빠가 왜 생일이면 반드시 네가 원하는 것을 사오는지, 그 이유를 너는 분명 잘 알고 있을 거야." “…”
Previous week Week 6
Next week Week 8
Home Thread Home Thread for また、同じ夢を見ていた / 또다시 같은 꿈을 꾸었어 📖 🇯🇵 🇰🇷
jpdb Deck Mata, Onaji Yume wo Miteita – Prebuilt decks – jpdb

Discussion ground rules

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Always mention where you are in the book when discussing, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting! But please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week :slight_smile:
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That can be part of the discussion too and I’m sure some folks would be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
Are you joining us for Week 3?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m reading along, but at my own pace
  • I’m just following the discussion
0 voters
3 Likes

Good timing, just wrapped my read half an hour ago. This half chapter was really good.

I think it’s because of what we talked about earlier (or maybe in the 駄菓子屋 thread?) but I find myself so much more affected my melodrama/dramatic moments, like Minami’s emotional delivery in this portion, and even moreso Nanako not fully comprehending why she was being so forceful about it but still sensing that it was very important to her.

Also god there were some weird nested lines in this set, thanks Nanoka. 南さんは、南さんの真似をした私の真似をした南さんお真似をした私の真似をしました。 Good lord kid, what are you smoking?

9 Likes

I feel like that has to be a typo (in the book)… or at least I’d hope it would be

1 Like

Woah, that was a quick read! Lots of repetition of words and phrases from previous chapters (that’s not really a spoiler right?).

As for the content, I wonder what 南さん thought of Nanoka using those words. She seems pretty mature for a high school girl, so I’m sure she’s figured out that Nanoka doesn’t understand what she’s saying.

Had to stop myself from reading ahead again, these half chapters are too tempting, really!

5 Likes

OMG the line with 3 真似s :rofl: I needed to read it 3 times to get it. At least it prepared me for the one with 4 真似s.

I wonder if (predictions) Minami’s parents passed away due to something wind-related? She seemed to suddenly recall her own experiences so vividly with that one strong gust of wind. Or if we go the supernatural route, maybe the wind brought her a vision of Nanoka’s future if she doesn’t make up with her parents?

Can’t wait for next week’s reading!

6 Likes

It took me a week or two but I have caught up!

5 Likes

That one made me laugh out loud. iirc she had a similar line one of the previous times they talked with fewer 真似をしたs, so it’s growing :joy:

I got the impression that it was more like a dramatic gust of wind like there might be in an anime before a dramatic change in topic. My thoughts were that her parents were killed on a business trip because that’s what Nanoka was talking right before Minami-san suddenly changed emotions.

Right?
I had to remind myself of all the other things I want to read this week, and that I’ll be a lot happier reading this on schedule with all of you.

5 Likes

That makes a lot more sense! I was so thrown off by it that I didn’t think to go back and check what they were speaking about right beforehand :joy: It felt a bit chaotic before the wind since Nanoka was having an outburst with Minami trying to give her advice and help in her own way before knowing all the details.

3 Likes

I am starting to wonder now if the whole Minami-san situation is her own dream or imagination invented due to her own trauma. Also, I can’t help but wonder if the cat is her imaginary friend because cats generally don’t follow people like that…

2 Likes

Earlier in the story (like first chapter), didn’t she go to the older lady’s house, who put out food and milk for the cat, and then asked how the cat was doing? Or am I mixing something up?

2 Likes

あばずれさん definitely put out milk for the cat

4 Likes

Thx! Also that name really cracks me up now that I know what it means :joy:

3 Likes

Here for the people listening to the audiobook, are you listening and reading along the book or just listening without the text? That means 2 copies of the book; 1 audio 1 text?

1 Like

When I was still reading, I was reading + listening together

2 Likes

I am just listening, but that’s because I have too many bookclubs ongoing and wouldn’t have time to join this one too if I was reading, so I opted only for the audiobook

4 Likes

Only just finished this part, but really liked it.
Maybe I am completely off, but I interpreted the events a bit differently? Or maybe I am just making some wild predictions :sweat_smile:

On Minami

This actually made me think みなみさん is Nanoka but older. She reacted that strongly because it’s her own parents. (I could be very wrong :joy:) But then it would make sense that we never get the real name for みなみさん, おばあさん and あばずれさん. Though that would mean なのか goes through some rough times later :thinking:

2 Likes

To catch up with the club, I’ve done something that’s a first for me - I switched from intensive to extensive reading/listening, going with the flow and being okay with just the feeling of “getting it” instead of trying to understand every part of every sentence. I assume that I’m missing details and possibly remember the story a bit less because my understanding probably can’t always keep up with my speed, but wow, this is actually a pretty nice experience! I just read and listened to the whole week 7 part in two sessions with a short work-related break in between, and I feel like I could still continue if I wasn’t too busy with other things.

We finally got the title drop! Interesting - so the titular dream is Minami-san’s, not Nanoka’s?

No, it’s in the audio book too. Nanoka’s description just goes one layer deeper every time it happens :wink:

At my level there’s no way I could listen without the text, so yeah - 2 copies of the book.

6 Likes

I’m also listening along to the text. I think when we started that there’d be no way for me to just listen, but between listening+reading to a bunch of other books, plus some anime with subs, and also just generally knowing the story and the characters I could probably transition to listening only. I don’t want to, but I could.

5 Likes