シャドウ 👻 Home thread 🔪

Welcome to the home thread for シャドウ

9d3bfc5c-3e77-48d2-bd6f-3d532a9d4cf8

Where it says ‘read up to’ it means don’t read that section. That section is your sign to stop for the week.

Week Up to Approximate Pages Approx. Percent Paperback page
Week 1 - June 10 Read up to sentence ending 頼ったたほうがいいんだ 25 11% 40 (文庫本)
Week 2 - June 17 Read through end of chapter 1 23 20% 69 (文庫本)
Week 3 - June 24 Read up to chapter 2, (六) 30 31% 107 (文庫本)
Week 4 - July 1 Read up to chapter 3, (五) 42 47% 159 (文庫本)
Week 5 - July 8 Read up to chapter 4, sentence ending を信じていた 52 65% 223 (文庫本)
Week 6 - July 15 Read up to 終章(四) 44 81% 276 (文庫本)
Week 7 - July 22 Read through end of book (not inclusive of 著者紹介 and 奥付) 45 98% 335 (文庫本)

I don’t have a paperback copy and my digital % may vary from your own by a bit. Approximate pages are from my ebook version using standard size font on a large iPad. Please use the section guides to know exactly where to stop. If you have a physical copy and wish to edit the table to include those pages please feel free to do so.

Will you be reading along when the club starts on June 10th?

• Yes
  • No, but I want to click a poll
  • I’ll read it but at my own pace
0 voters

Which version of the book will you be reading

• Physical copy
  • eBook
  • Audiobook
  • Combo audio + text
0 voters

This post will be made a wiki, :arrow_down_small: please put characters notes below :arrow_down_small:

Character notes

田中太郎 is here as an example

漢字 ふりがな ノート
田中太郎 たなか・たろう サラリーマン、30代、殺人犯
3 Likes

This has been added as new on this website so it is roughly labelled as Level 30. Does anyone have a better estimate as to whether it leans more towards 32 or 27-28ish?

1 Like

I flipped through some of the first chapter and I’d place it closer to 30 than 28 based on that. Even ignoring the old quote at the very beginning there is some kanji/vocab usage that I’d kick up to higher levels than ~28, but there seems to be quite a bit of dialogue and at least in the bits I read (excluding the very very beginning setup) it’s pretty plain grammar.

It’s possible it’d land at a 32, but at least with what I looked at I’m inclined to think it won’t.

4 Likes

There are (at least) two sentences in chapter 4 ending on 信じていた. Judging by the percentages and approximate pages given, I think the one on page 222 is the correct one, ending on 父を信じていた. Perhaps this should be extended? The one on page 208 ends on 凰介はそう信じていた, in case that’s the one relevant for the schedule.

3 Likes

Oh I didn’t notice the other one. I cut off the noun to avoid the risk of spoilers but you are correct, it’s the one on 222.

1 Like

You could cut off the noun but keep the particle, as it’s not used in the other instance.

I tried the audiobook sample (both audiobook and audible) and it sounds straightforward enough. I’ll try audiobook only at first, but it’s likely I’ll end up getting the ebook too if I feel I’m missing stuff. We’ll see.

3 Likes

My travel plans got a bit more hectic and I’m going to be mostly away from my computer for the rest of June, so I went ahead and made the first three weeks’ threads. Please be considerate of the schedule (and not making others feel rushed) by refraining from posting in the threads ahead of the scheduled week.

3 Likes

My apologies to the club, but I’m reading ahead. I wasn’t planning to, but when I went to listen to week 2 (I’m listening to the audiobook only), it took a while to get my bearings and remember who was who and what they were doing. I’m finding that with audiobooks it’s harder to quickly refer back to a previous part to refresh my memory, so listening to the whole thing in as little time as possible works best for me. I’m keeping notes for each weekly section though, so I can hopefully still participate in discussions without spoilers.

3 Likes

Ditto. I’ve also been listening to the audiobook during my commute and it’s been fantastic, but it’s hard to know which sections correspond to which week. :sweat_smile: The pitfalls of listening to an audiobook for a book club read.

3 Likes

I’m currently under the weather so posting tomorrow’s early just in case. Week 5 is also early as I’ll be going out of town again soon and won’t have access to my computer when I usually post.

Week 4
Week 5

2 Likes

I was just marking all the weeks, so I don’t rush past the stopping point :see_no_evil: and noticed that the stopping point for week 5 is on page 223 in my 文庫本 version. Not a big deal as it’s the end of a paragraph, so it’s hard to miss either way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I personally don’t have a physical copy, those page numbers were kindly provided by @Belerith. If you are able to somehow denote the difference in editions feel free to edit the main table post (it’s a wiki).

1 Like

I checked my book again and it is indeed on page 223. I must have mistyped. :grimacing: I’ll go ahead and just change it in the table.

2 Likes

Yet again I’m going to be out of town, so two weeks posted at once. Also I decided :ghost: didn’t really fit the series, but wasn’t sure what else would, so settled on :watermelon:

Week 6

終わり

1 Like