美しい彼 🐥 아름다운 그 📷 Informal Book Club 📚

We’re reading https://learnnatively.com/book/411987162d/, the first volume of the 🌷 美しい彼 🐤 My Beautiful Man 📸 Home Thread series. :heart_eyes:

Reading Schedule

Week Start Date End Page
1 Nov 27 20
2 Dec 4 40
:snowflake: Xmas Break :snowman:
3 Jan 8 60
4 Jan 15 80
5 Jan 22 100
6 Jan 29 120
7 Feb 5 140
8 Feb 12 160
9 Feb 19 180
10 Feb 26 200
11 Mar 4 220
12 Mar 11 240
13 Mar 18 260
14 Mar 25 280
15 Apr 1 300
16 Apr 8 320
17 Apr 15 end

The Korean version is slightly longer; Japanese readers will finish in week 16.

Characters

Kanji Hiragana Korean
平良一成 ひら かずなり 히라 카즈나리
清居奏 きよい そう 키요이 소

Resources

:jp: Japanese Vocabulary List
:kr: Korean Vocabulary List

Polls

Will you be reading along?
  • Yes! :heart_eyes:
  • Maybe… :thinking:
  • No, just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
Which language will you be reading in?
  • :jp: Japanese
  • :kr: Korean
  • :jp: :kr: Both!
0 voters
What type of book will you be reading?
  • Physical
  • Ebook
0 voters
3 Likes

Thanks for putting this together!

3 Likes

It has been done:

4 Likes

Was wondering why I couldn’t find the Korean version on Natively until I realised it’s 18+, which means it can’t be added using the Yes24 link. :melting_face:

4 Likes

Gonna ask Brandon to add it manually?

1 Like

Sent a message, so fingers crossed. :smiley:

1 Like

He said 6 days ago that he will be traveling for the next two weeks, so I assume he won’t be able to do anything for at least one more week.

3 Likes

You can always tell which books are 18+ based on whether or not they have that red box in the top right corner that says 19세 미만 구독 불가 :hot_pepper: makes it really easy to identify where spice is at a glance :rofl:

3 Likes

Instead of reinventing the wheel it seems there’s a data mined list of the vocabulary here: Utsukushii Kare - Volume 1 – Vocabulary list – jpdb

3 Likes

Yeah, it just didn’t click because the Japanese version was already in the database. :upside_down_face:

Also, I hate that little red box! You’d think shrinkwrap with a 18+ sticker would be enough, but they have to print it on the actual book. It ruins the covers… :anger:

3 Likes

4 Likes

Quick check @bibliothecary: we were doing all discussion in one thread, right?

1 Like

Yeah, so be mindful of spoiler tags! :smile:

3 Likes

@bibliothecary I started the Korean version today and the story basically starts around page ~19 already since the first pages are illustrations and some info about the book. :open_mouth: Is the physical version the same? Thinking about just reading to around page 40 in that case since it’s the true first twenty pages of text.

3 Likes

I believe my Kindle JP version starts on page 8 itself (or so my Kindle assures me). It’ll be fun trying to figure out how to mark where in the story spoilers take place, haha.

3 Likes

The joys of reading the digital version :smile: I’m sure we will figure it out haha

3 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t too sure about that either – I cross referenced the physical Japanese book and it starts on page 7. I decided I’ll stop at page 31 at the natural page break that ends with Hira skipping home after Kiyoi basically saves him from a bullying attempt by his classmates afterschool.

3 Likes

Page 34 in the Korean version, probably around page 25 or so in the Japanese:

I’ve discovered that the Korean word for パシリ is 빵셔틀 or “bread shuttle” and I’m highly, highly amused. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

The physical version starts on page 7, so this first week would be 13 pages to keep the page tracking easy (p20, p40, etc). I guess that was a bit hopeful. :sweat_smile:

I guess you could just calculate the offset - are you reading the ridi version?

2 Likes

That makes sense! I am reading the RIDI version so I think that’s exactly what I’ll do. :slightly_smiling_face:

Off topic about the Korean level: The vocab is definitely harder than 소리를 보는 소년 but I’ve read 美しい彼 before and know the story well so it’s not bad at all. Looking forward to see how much my vocab improves re-reading the entire series in Korean now. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes