🧹 魔女の宅急便 🐈‍⬛ Kiki's Delivery Service 🌙 Home Thread

Welcome to the book club for 魔女の宅急便 (also known as Kiki’s Delivery Service), the book which the well-known anime was based on. Join us as we read through the first volume of the series! :slightly_smiling_face:

Useful Links

Reading Schedule

Week Start
Date
Chapter Pages
Week 1 May 13 1 & 2 20
2 May 20 3 20
3 May 27 3 15
4 June 3 4 26
5 June 10 5 23
6 June 17 6 25
7 June 24 7 25
8 July 1 8 21
9 July 8 9 19
10 July 15 10 18
11 July 22 11 23

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.

Polls

Will you be reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • Maybe… :thinking:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
What format will you be using?
  • Physical Book
  • Ebook
  • Audiobook
0 voters
4 Likes

Reading Schedule

We could follow the WK schedule, which reads around 10 pages a week. They have included a week with no reading to give people the opportunity to catch up, which we could include if people like the idea, which takes the total time to 21 weeks to complete the book. If people think this would be too slow, we could make a new schedule reading more pages every week.

Schedule Pgs/wk Weeks
WK schedule 10-15 20
New schedule 20 12
Which schedule would you prefer?
  • WK schedule
  • New schedule
0 voters
Would you like a catch-up week?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Start Date

When would you like to start reading?
  • May 6
  • May 13
  • May 20
  • May 27
  • Later
0 voters
7 Likes

I think we could probably leave the decision on a catch up week til we have a couple weeks under our belts. We’ll have a better idea of how it’s going at that point.

10 Likes

I’m very excited to give this a go! Nice to meet everyone here. <3

8 Likes

I have Kiki on my bingo board, so I think I’ll join you guys. I’m not particular to pace or start date, so I’ll follow whatever you guys prefer.

8 Likes

Welcome to the club! We had a lot of fun with out last read so happy to have you joining us!

8 Likes

I read half way through Kiki over 2 years ago, and remember struggling a lot before moving on to other things. Not yet sure if I will join, but maybe I get to finally finish the book :laughing:

9 Likes

Same, except it was last year, but I feel I’ve grown a lot so I think I’ll be able to do it this time! Excited to try again :smile:

5 Likes

I battled through it as my first ever proper book, can’t remember when but must be a while. I might do a reread along with the club.

7 Likes

There are 6 volumes to this book?

Oh the kindle version has 6 volumes… money money!

So when will we cut off the poll?

Looks like everyone wants the new schedule and we’re tired for May 6th and May 13th, but since bilbiothecary organised this I reckon they should get the tie breaking choice <3

Also I appreciate all the vocab links and have grabbed myself the Anki deck. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Can anyone let me know if they have a guide to turn this kindle fbx file into something I can load on ttsu? I swear I had an EPUB when I tried reading this like nearly a year or more ago but I can’t dig it up :frowning:

1 Like

I think starting on the 13th might be better - having only a week’s notice is fine if you’re reading the ebook, but it’s not great for those who want to order a physical copy. I think having at least two weeks for people to purchase the book would be more sensible (will remember this for next time… :sweat_smile:).

I’ve made a reading schedule, which mostly sticks to a chapter a week. The first couple of chapters are relatively short so they’ve been combined in week 1, and the third is longer than the others so it has been split over two weeks.

Week Chapter Pages
1 1 & 2 20
2 3 20
3 3 15
4 4 26
5 5 23
6 6 25
7 7 25
8 8 21
9 9 19
10 10 18
11 11 23
Would you like to follow this reading schedule?
  • Yeah, looks good! :+1:
  • No (comment below) :-1:
0 voters

Everyone seems to be in agreement about the pace, so just a quick question about the threads:

Would you prefer the have a thread for each week, or each chapter?
  • Week
  • Chapter
0 voters
4 Likes

I would love to join in on this!
Especially since I kinda stopped the book in the middle and never got myself to finish

But due to college related situations and other book clubs my participation is in question lol

8 Likes

As it seems that most people agree that it’s harder than ふしぎ駄菓子屋 銭天堂, I might be pretty slow with this, doubly so because I’m gonna be using the physical book. I might just do what I did with ふしぎ駄菓子屋 銭天堂 though, that is, to catch up in the later chapters, once my level is slightly higher. So if we use this schedule it’s still fine for me, I’m just almost certain that I won’t manage to follow it exactly.

6 Likes

I reserved the book from the library but I believe it’s an older harder version than this common one found on this site and Amazon. Will try and compare with this BC version on Audible, hopefully identical.

3 Likes

I would also love to join but I’m a bit hesitant since I’m committed to several other book clubs… will give it a try and follow the first few weeks though!

6 Likes

It appears that these are identical books with audible, at a glance. I like this old 1985 hardcover version with big pages and occasional illustrations so that’s what I’m going with. The paperback version is quite similar but more dense and compact in the pages.

3 Likes

I considered getting it from the library too, but apparently they only let you borrow books for 2 weeks max so that’s a no-go for me unfortunately :sweat_smile:

3 Likes